What a delight. These quantities makes 5 portions which makes it an ideal food-prep recipe. Plus it’s delicious and filling.
Butternut Squash Marinara
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 cup chicken stock (stock cube)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Peel and chop butternut squash into medium-sized cubes. Quarter the tomatoes and the pepper, removing the seeds and stalk of the pepper.
- Spread squash, tomatoes and pepper on a baking sheet with the unpeeled cloves of garlic. Then season with salt and pepper, and 2 tsps of Italian seasoning.
- Roast for 45 minutes. After roasting, allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Put the coconut oil into a frying pan and cook the onion with the balsamic vinegar and the remaining tsp of Italian seasoning. Cook until the onion turns brown and translucent.
- Squeeze the garlic clove from their peel.
- Put the roasted vegetables into a blender and blend with the stock until smooth.
Approximate macros for 1/4 cup serving:
25 calories, 1g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fat, 1g fibre, 2g sugar
- 1 pack of turkey mince (340g)
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- Half cup of feta, crumbled
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients (except coconut oi) in a bowl and mix.
- Form into 10 meatballs.
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan on medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning frequently so that the meatballs don’t stick or burn.
- When the meatballs have nearly finished cooking, reduce the heat to low and pour in the sauce. Turn the meatballs carefully in the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes until they are cooked through and the sauce is hot.
Serve 2 meatballs with a quarter cup of sauce on half a jacket potato, approximate macros:
395 Calories, 40g protein, 43g carbs, 8g fat, 6g fibre, 5g sugar.